Wednesday, September 2, 2009

And things we believe in

 

“Poems. Prayers and Promises” is a song written by the late John Denver. I was playing and singing the song just the other day. I need to look at the lyrics and see how they apply to me.

 

I’ve been lately thinking

About my life’s time

All the things I’ve done

And how it’s been

 

            I have been doing that a lot lately. I have been going through a middle-aged crisis since I was 30. I am saddened by what I missed and the mistakes I’ve made.

 

And I can’t help believing

In my own mind

I know I’m gonna hate to see it end

 

            You betcha. I am not looking forward to dying, not just yet. I have so many dreams that need to be realized. The Caribbean calls.

 

I’ve seen a lot of sunshine

Slept out in the rain

Spent a night or two all on my own

 

            I enjoyed being on my own sometimes. I was very lonely, mind you, but I did enjoy not having to care about or for anyone else. Sometimes I am just as lonely now as I was then.

 

I’ve known my lady’s pleasures

 

            This goes without saying. Note the past tense in the lyric is correct.

 

Had myself some friends

 

            Also past tense. I still do have a few friends, but none of them are close. That has to do a lot with me. I am very critical of people, but not to their faces. Just in my own snarky, secret way, which I think is a big turn off for the general population. Plus, I have a hard time enduring the fools of my life.

 

And spent a night or two in my own home

 

            Which is a good feeling. I know some folks out there are wishing for more. I can’t complain too much about my crap shack.

 

And I have to say it now

It’s been a good life all in all

 

            It has been a rollercoaster, but I do admit nothing catastrophic has happened. I am fed, have a home and loving wife and son, and am gainfully employed. Looking  at the macro view, it has been good. It is the minutia (and a horrific childhood and            adolescence) that bothers me and is hard to let go.

 

It’s really fine

To have a chance to hang around

And lie there by the fire

 

            Fire = computer screen

 

And watch the evening tire

 

            = watching my EVE Online character mine ore.

 

While all my friends and my old lady

Sit and pass the pipe around

 

            Pipe = my wife’s addiction to digital scrapbooking. I actually wish we could pass a pipe around. I need to be more mellow, but random drug tests makes the mental health benefit not worth the risk.

 

And talk of poems and prayers and promises

And things that we believe in

 

            I believe in free markets, personal freedom, and limited government. I believe in the right to do to one’s own self what they will. I believe in firearm ownership. By most common perceptions, I must be a red-neck hillbilly hippie corporate weasel.

 

How sweet it is to love someone

How right it is to care

 

            And you wouldn’t believe how many people don’t care. I do care. However, my definition of care is different than the popular television versions. I care for your soul, your individuality, and your well-being. I don’t care to force what I believe or follow onto you, though, in order for those things to exist.

 

How long it’s been since yesterday

And what about tomorrow

And what about our dreams

And all the memories we share

 

            Our dreams and memories are both alike in that we can’t seem to be able to grasp either. You can’t live in a memory, and our dreams seem well out our grasp. Ok, MY dreams are our of MY grasp.

 

The days they pass so quickly now

Nights are seldom long

 

            Ain’t that the truth. My son is growing up so fast. I feel that every minute I spend here or in my one leisure activity I am missing out on an eternity of development of my kid. And nights, well, it is hard to get up in the morning. A lot.

 

And time around me whispers when it’s cold

The changes somehow frighten me

Still I have to smile

It turns me on to think of growing old

 

            It does, somewhat. Being a teenager sucked, but being a twenty-something didn’t. Maybe that because my 30s suck, my 40s will be great.

 

For though my life’s been good to me

There’s still so much to do

So many things my mind has never known

 

            Sailing the Caribbean forever more. And maybe the South Pacific. New Zealand calls me as well.

 

I’d like to raise a family

           

            Doing so…

 

I’d like to sail away

 

            You betcha.

 

And dance across the mountains on the moon

 

            Not really, but is niftily poetic.

 

I have to say it now

It’s been a good life all in all

It’s really fine

To have the chance to hang around

And lie there by the fire

And watch the evening tire

While all my friends and my old lady

Sit and watch the sun go down

 

And talk of poems and prayers and promises

And things that we believe in

How sweet it is to love someone

How right it is to care

How long it’s been since yesterday

What about tomorrow

What about our dreams

And all the memories we share

 

EVE Online has really gotten me hooked. I am so enjoying it. Nothing like MMPORG-crack to keep me up at nights. It does keep me from trolling the dating sites looking for, well, anything. EVE is awesome and incredibly complex as well.

 

I went to a Brazoria Gamers group get together Saturday evening. I learned to play a new game. The folks are friendly, but I wonder if I could be friends. Outside of wanting some mental exercise in games, collectively we have little in common.

 

Still no definite takers to go see Dethklok and Mastodon in November. I am thinking now of just selling the extra ticket online or something.

 

My swimming is really wearing me out, which is a good thing I think. Hopefully, my stamina will slowly improve as my weight starts to slowly come down.

 

My meds are really doing a number on me. If I don’t take some of it with a wine cooler, then I get side effects. More Seagram’s Margarita-flavored booze, please.

 

Enough of this-

[Via http://mikestermike.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment